domingo, 12 de febrero de 2012


SENTENCE TYPE
 A sentence is a group of words that says something in a fixed structure of grammar and puntuation.


Sentence Structure
Sentence structure can be simple, compound,complex, or compound-complex according to the kinds of clauses in the sentence.


Simple sentence
A simple sentence has one independent or main cluse(one subject -main verb combination).
 Also, the simple sentence can be expanded into a very long sentence,but adding modifiers does not change it´s basic structure. 
Moreover,the simple sentence can have a compound subject(two or more subjects joined by a coordinating conjuctions).


.
Examples:
1. My niece is a  beautiful girl.
2. I read a interesting book titled "pride and prejudice" one year ago.
3. My sister and me like listening Christian music.
4. My mother bought me a dress. I don´t like it.
5. Heriberto and Maria were in Suchitoto last week.


Compound sentence
A compound sentence has two or more independent clauses without any dependent or subordinate clauses. Sometimes a compound sentence is called a balanced sentence.
The clauses of a compound sentence may be joined either by a semicolon or by a comma and a coordinating conjuction (and, now, but, still, yet, only, while, then, so, so then, for, either...or, neither ...nor, however, therefore, nevertheless.


.
Examples:
1. My friend likes the black color, but I like the light blue color.
2. Maricruz is married and she lives in San Salvador.
3. It was very hot, so I took a shower.
4. I cooked a delicious food, so I eat too much.
5. Lourdes was reading a book while she was drinking a cup of coffee.


Complex sentence
A complex sentence has one independent clause and one or more dependent clauses.
The complex sentence may be joined by subordinating conjuctions (that, because, since, as, so that, lest, if, unless, althouhg, while, until, as if, as though, when, why, in order that, whether).








Examples:
1. Rosa never rode the bicycle after she broke her leg.
2. I will stay here until  you feel better.
3. My friend said that she was very happy.
4. I was in my house when suddenly it started to shake.
5. My niece did not go to the school  because she was not feeling well.


Compound-complex sentence
A compound-complex sentence has two or more independent clauses and at least one dependent clause.A compound sentence becomes  a compound-complex sentence when one or more dependent clauses are added to it.




Examples:
1. In our country many people today don´t have a job and some of them can get it because there are not opportunities.


2. I would like to be a flight attendant because it is challenging, so I am going to study very hard.


3. Claudia participated in a contest,so she won the prize because she was the best.


4. Jenny bought the white blouse, but she did not buy the skirt because she did not have enough money.


.


Types of sentences by purpose
Declarative, interrogative,imperative, and exclamatory sentences are classifications according to the way the sentence communicates an idea.


Declarative sentence
A declarative sentence makes a statement and ends with a period. Most sentences that explain or persuade are declarative.




Examples:
1. Pablo and Jenny are singing.
2. My cellphone rang.
3. Sara is coming.
4. My grandmother is eating.


Interrogative sentence
An intrrogative sentence asks a question and ends with a question mark.





Example:
1. Where are the keys?
2. What is Mario doing?
3. Are Laura and Flor coming?
4. Is Carmen going shopping today?




Imperative sentence
An imperative sentence is a command and endes with a period.


Examples:
1. Please do not change anything on my homework.
2. Tell me the true.
3. Choose the correct answer.
4. Please sit down.


Exclamatory sentence
An exclamatory sentence expresses strong feeling and ends with an exclamtion mark.
Example:
1. What beautiful weather!
2. How intelligent I am!
3. The nice girl!
4. What wonderful moon!








Clauses
A clause is group of words that has a subject- verb combination in it.




Independent clauses
Independent clauses ( also called main  clauses) can be punctuated as separate sentence.They may be long or short.
Example: 
The dog ran down the street.


The sentence above are independent clauses. They have a subject and verb .


Dependent clause
Dependent clauses (also called subordinated clauses) cannot be punctuate as complete sentences except in direct quotations in some traditional uses.


1. A dependent clause must be attached to an independent clause.
Example:
               
         dependent clause                                              independent clause    
When the alarm clock rang,   I woke up.


2. A dependent clause may be marked or unmarked.
Example:
                             marker
This is the story   that   my sister read.


This is the story my sister read. unmarked: (that is left out)


3. A dependent clause acts in the sentence like an adjective, an adverb, or a noun.


Adjective clauses
Like a single- word adjectived, an adjective clause modifies a noun or pronoun.


Examples:
1. Lourdes is the woman who cooked a delicious food.
2. My mother is someone who gives me support.
3. Books that contains important information are very interesting.




Adverb clauses
Like a single-word adverb , an adverb clauses tells when (time), where (place), how (manner), why (cause), and what extent (degree).
Examples:
1. When lily went out, it was snowing.
2. Although the exam was very difficult, I got an excellent calification.
3. Before you take a decision, you should think very well.






Noun clauses
A noun clause can replace a single-word noun, a pronoun, or a noun phrase as subject of the sentence.
Examples:
1. Silvia knew what Jane had really said.
2. Whatever teacher says is easy to understand.
3. Pablo did not know why he was happy.







No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario